My Hair Journey

Friday, July 20, 2018

I am back again with another one this week but I decided to do things a bit differently this time around. I would like to share my hair journey with you. Over a year ago, 28 January 2017 to be exact, I cut my hair to an almost non-existent length. In the beginning I felt awkward because I have always had a full head of hair since I was about 6 years old. So I was not familiar with the shape of my head. But with time I got used to the short hair and appreciated my facial features more as they were more exposed of course. 



As my hair grew I began braiding it and doing different protective styles to keep stretching it. I was happy that I could finally do something with my hair instead of waking up and not being able to style it in anyway, which is  one of the challenges of having short hair. Then came the awkward stage. 




The most frustrating thing about this stage for me is having to deal with shrinkage. It is the worst. And combing my hair out every morning was just as frustrating which kept me braiding my hair and doing protective styles over and over again. By this time I had a wig made for me which did make life easier no lie. Some days when I was just not in the mood to comb my hair I just throw the wig on and carry on with my day. 


Earlier this year, February 2018, the thought of applying a texturizer to my hair came up. A texturizer is a form of a relaxer that is applied to curly or kinky hair for a short while to loosen the curl pattern. I was in between with doing it because I was afraid of the process going the wrong way, which would have been fully relaxing my hair again defeating the whole objective of growing an afro. So I did my research on texturizing and found out that it would loosen my curls making my hair soft enough to maintain and comb through but still having that kink. So what did your girl do? I went ahead with it and I regretted it in the first week. My hair looked so awkward and the only thing I could do with was a high puff. 



I then braided my hair hoping it would go back to original texture and shape which it sort of did but it was and still is a bit stretched, hence the current length of it. My hair is more kinky than it was after I had texturized it. 

This is my hair after it had been in cornrows for a while.

I’m actually glad I went ahead with it because my hair responded quite well to the texturizer. The only thing that I don’t like is that my ends do get quite dry after some time but other than that I love my hair in its current state. 

This is my hair after being washed, conditioned and moisturized. No heat was used to dry my hair.




I don’t necessarily have a hair regime or specific hair products that I use religiously. I am still trying things out after all this is a journey. But I will share with you products that I have and am using. 

From left to right :
Organics Shampoo and Conditioner (for dry and damaged hair)
Dark and Lovely : Au Naturale Knot-out Conditioner
Dark and Lovely : Au Naturale Afro Moisturizing Butter
Caivil : Naturals Marula Oil Hair & Scalp Oil Sealant
Don't forget to comment below what your favourite natural hair products are, I would love to hear from you. 

Remember God loves you and so do I. 

TLegO...

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Yhuuu wenabtgese selfies,I wish I could double click😏 my favorite hair products have to be from the afriTrue range from clicks. My hair reponds well to it,espe especi the intense deep conditioning treatment that I use once a week . My hair was getting coily🙆🙆🙆.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I experienced the same thing beginning of this year imagine😢 I applied i-blowout relaxer and it became relaxed especially in front felt like crying and regretted it a lot but I stayed with cornrows for like a month and it got back to normal luckily☺. Thank u for sharing your regime😙

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is so beautiful girl and it has grown so much from last year when it was short. You look absolutely beautiful 😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby gurrrrl😳😳😍😍😍😩I've been trying to get my hair like this for months now...Imma let winter pass by first 😅😅then I will get on with it 😲😍Organics is tots amaze😭😍🤞🏽

    ReplyDelete